Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Two girls touching my heart

I'll start with Maddy.
I have been meaning to post about her for a while now, but I never seem to find the time to sit down and gather thoughts with matching words.
Maddy is in year seven and came into my life almost a year ago on her orientation day at my school. The program that transitioned children from primary to high school.
My first interaction with her was because she wet her pants. So I took her and cleaned her up. And it happened again. And again. Seven times that day.
But I was determined to get Maddy through that first day in High School.
She came back each week with a group of 'high maintenance kids' who I worked with to help them cope with the transition. Each week I saw improvement in them all, but particular Maddy. Yes, there were times when it was hard. There are times when it is still hard. There are times when I want to rip my hair out and scream.
Maddy's transition was better then I had ever hoped for. The first few days she hung around me, but before my eyes I watched her make friends, learn to use social skills, and become more independent.
A few week's ago we took the year seven's on a camp. It was a BLAST! I will post a ton of pictures soon! But... Maddy did FANTASTIC!
The plan was... We would put Maddy with a few other girls to sleep in the tent, like every other child. I would sleep near the teachers cabin and the tent and check on Maddy every few hours to make sure everything was OK. Maddy would know to come get either Miss Bridge or myself if anything was wrong.
Well, our plan totally failed. The drama started when we first got to camp. Maddy wet herself within like 5 mins! Oh my goodness. I thought we were in for it!
We went to our first activity and Maddy did REALLY well. They then decided to move us year 10 kids to a cabin on the other side of the camp... away from Maddy... away from Miss Bridge... So that was a little worrying but we figured out a new plan.
Night time came and we were sure there would be dramas! Well, guess who slept in the tent, with her friends, the entire night, NO drama!
I was so very proud!

Miss Maddy has come SO far, and I am so proud, so thrilled, so amazed.
We have our good days with her, and bad ones.
I have found 'working' with her to be an absolute pleasure!
There are no words to describe the way she makes me feel. To know that I am part of the reason she has come this far.



I have the opportunity to do it again.
A girl has started at my school and for privacy reasons I am not going to say her name! I'll just call her 'A' :)
A has A LOT of issues. She is in year 8 but has the mind of about a 5 or 6 year old.
She is very, very, very aggressive and has been expelled from a whole heap of schools. For the past 6 months she has not been on any school grounds. For over a year she has not been in a class room or out in the play ground with ANY other child.
Heart breaking? I think so!
I was nervous to meet her today. She was not what I expected. I expected to walk in and see a rough, rude child. I walked in and saw a girl sitting at the desk learning how to draw a margin down the edge of her page. She turned her head and looked into my eyes... and smiled. Miss Watts introduced me and asked her when the last time she had a friend come and visit. A told me it was over a year ago and she was going to go home and tell Mummy and Daddy she had a new friend. My heart shattered. Totally unexpected. I can not see how this little girl could lose her temper and resort to throwing brinks at people... but yes, it happens.
She is a high risk child. A very high risk. If anything happens I have to run. I will be seated near the door at all times. I need to make sure there is nothing she can throw at me. I need to make sure I can escape if things go wrong. And they go wrong quickly.
It can be her losing a game of uno against me, and she might lose it.
I don't know.
But I do know that this is a risk. But I also know it is worth it.
She deserves another chance. And if she stuffs it up, she deserves another one.
I am not going to give up on her.
Maddy has taught me persistence so much since I started working with her... Well, now I put this to a whole new level.
The level where I am in a bit of danger (I will have teachers with me at all times, so I should be OK, but only time will tell).
She is a risk. But she is worth it!

So, why?
Why did I help Maddy that day?
Why did I keep helping her?
Why do I want to put myself at risk to help 'A'?
Why would I do something I get nothing out of?

Well, the fact is, I get more out of it then they do. I don't know how to explain it. I used to think I did it because I want someone to be there if Oscar ever needs someone, but I'm not so sure if that is why. I do it to help them, but in actual fact, they help me. They shape me. They teach me. They push me to my limits. They scare me. They give me joy. They give me hope. THEY give me so much more then I could ever give them.

Maddy's progress is unbelievable! And I pray that 'A's' will be too!
I pray that she will be able to go into a class room with kids again. I pray that she will learn to control her temper. I pray that she will prove everyone wrong, just like Maddy did!

I really am so blessed to be apart of these girls miracles!

No comments:

Post a Comment