Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Finally!

Ok, I have been waiting to post this for ages!
Remember WAY back when I told you we had to write a diary entry in English about 'overcoming adversity'.
Well here is my diary entry. (speech will come soon, I promise :))
Dear Diary,
The past two years I have been learning all about the challenges and joys Down syndrome brings to our family.
On the 16th of May, 2008, my baby cousin Oscar was born, a perfectly healthy baby boy. I had been so exited for a new family member and was filled with joy to hear of his arrival.
The next day my world was turned upside down when we found out Oscar has CHD (congenital heart defect), IA (Imperforated Anus) and Down syndrome.
When I heard this I was terrified. Not only for the fact that Oscar was fighting for his life, with only a 20% chance of surviving, but also what life would be like after. He was never going to be ‘normal’ and at this stage, that was scary.
After a month of Oscar being in the intensive care unit I knew that it was a blessing he was born with that extra chromosome (Down syndrome). He was such a little warrior! He was in a lot of pain but he would always stare into my eyes and smile. When he did that I knew it was all going to be ok. We were going to get through this together.
I started to learn more about Down syndrome and realized it wasn’t scary, just different. And that is fine with me! Oscar has shown me what life is really about, how to smile and be brave in any circumstance, just like he does every day of his precious life. He showed me the meaning of unconditional love. The love that sees him as a perfect little boy, not just a child with Down syndrome. A love that will sacrifice ANYTHING just to see him smile.
Oz has introduced me to people all over the world who have the same blessing as we do, a family member with DS :) This gives me a chance to seek and give advice, meet new and amazing people all over the world and share my life with Oscar with the world.
When Oscar fought for his life with all odds stacked against him, I was scared that if he made it what the future would hold. Now I am excited and honoured to have the opportunity to watch my sweet Ozzy grow and learn, at his own pace. I am amazed by this precious little boy, who continues to teach me more and more each day.
In just two years I have gone from thinking Oscar would never have the chance to a normal and happy life, thinking that Down syndrome is terrifying and a burden... To knowing that as Oz Man grows he will continue to amaze us all. He will touch the hearts of all those he meets and fill the world with joy. And best of all, I know that Down syndrome is the most amazing gift God has ever given to me and I am so looking forward to my future with my precious little boy, who just happens to have designer genes :)
Taylah

No comments:

Post a Comment