Thursday, October 21, 2010

Something Special

I know it is Down Syndrome Awareness Month... Don't worry I have not forgot!
God has given me sooooo many oppertunities to not only teach people about DS but also LEARN about special needs :)
I have had school tasks, not direrctly related to special needs but I could change it to make it about that!
We had an english and a science task that I had the oppertunity to talk about DS just this week!
I will publish my english task soon, but I really wanted to talk about what today meant to me!
Each year the year 6 kids come over to the high school and do a few activitys with a peer support leader (Thats me this year!) and today we had a sports gala day :)
It was a beautiful day and super fun!
I had a group of around 30 children and 1 little girl with specail needs.
About half an hour into the day we started having issues... not participating, wetting pants, scared about high school, and honestly I was culeless as to what to do!
This scared me compleatly! If I could not deal with this special needs child how would I deal with Oscar?
So I spent the entire day running around for this child, as well as keeping my group under control, dealing with major ingerys (bleeding noses, broken arms) and trying to keep the kids participating in the sports and not water fights as it was stickin' hot!
While I was doing it I felt as if I was doing a terrible job! But everyone commented on what an amazing job I did and how well I handled all the challanges in the day!

Today was a bit of a message to me....
That I will be OK with Oscar,
That God wants me to look after this little girl when she enters high school next year,
And that maybe there is a future with special needs kids for me? (I sure hope so!)

Today I kinda lost faith in myself... I thought I couldn't do it... I was doing a terrible job! But turns out I did a great job!

I guess another message is that...
ALL is possible with God :)

1 comment: