Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Why it hurts!

Since Oscar was born the word 'Retard' sends shivers down my spine.
When I first saw Oscar, ontop of everything elce the doctor told me he had retardation. Huh? Say what? That means he is going to be stupid right?
Wow! I was soooo wrong! That is why I HATE that word!
It is a medical term that has been turned into slander!
When someone does something stupid I often hear "You retard!!!!"
Well Oscar is actually a retard and I can tell you now he is far from stupid!
Because I heard that sooooo much I thought that is what it meant, so when Oscar was diagnosed with retardation I was scared that he would NEVER learn and I think that is what so many other people think too.
"When you use slang terms like "retard" or "retarded" you are insulting millions of people with intellectual disabilities, their families and their friends"
By saying "Your retarded" to someone when they do something stupid you are insulting people with disabilitys, saying they are stupid!
I often get "But I didn't mean it that way" or "I wasn't saying it about Oscar". Well acctually YOU ARE!
You are insulting Oscar and the millions of other people around the world that have some sort of retardation.
Thanks to people who use that word for slander, I now cringe when anyone says it! Even if it is used medically!
How I long to live in a world were Down Syndrome is seen for the blessing it truly is!
The R word hurts!
Speard the word to end the word! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment